Have you ever been given a compliment that highlighted something negative about you and made you feel confused, uncomfortable, or angry? Wouldn’t it be better if such a person has not said anything at all? Such negative compliments create unpleasant situations. In this article, I will discuss such situations and share smart ways to handle them.
What is a Backhanded Compliment
How to Respond to Backhanded Compliments in a Witty Way
While compliments are intended to uplift your spirits and celebrate or encourage you, backhanded compliments are meant to insult and humiliate you. This is known as backhanded compliments. These are insults disguised as compliments. Backhanded compliments can be subtle and may go unnoticed at times, but sometimes they can be obvious and pretty brutal, leaving the receiver feeling hurt, ashamed, and devastated.
Examples Of Backhanded Compliments
Backhanded compliments can be subtle or brutally obvious. To give you a better understanding of backhanded compliments I will share some examples of backhanded compliments below.
- This lipstick looks so good on you, no ones gonna notice the acne.
- You would look so much younger without your glasses.
- This shirt is so well fitted, it really hides your pouched belly well.
- You are really hard working, too bad you were not selected to work for the bigger projects.
- I heard that you are being promoted to the head office, I hope you will be able to make a good first impression.
How to Respond to a Backhanded Compliment
It never feels good to be at the receiving end of a backhanded compliment. It can leave you confused, frustrated or even salty. You can choose not to respond to such a passive-aggressive compliment but not responding is also a way to respond and it is referred to as ignoring. There are four ways that you can respond to a backhanded compliment.
- Ignore it
- Thank and Acknowledge the positive part
- Challenge the compliment and address the insult
- Be witty about it
My Favorite Witty Responses for Backhanded Compliment
- You looked so kind before you started speaking.
- You look pretty when you are not talking meanly.
- You have a lot of potentials to improve your social skills.
- I always feel prettier/smarter when I am around you.
- People who do not talk bad about others live longer.
- Really? Way to spot the obvious Einstein.
- Tiny brains always come with big mouths, don’t they?
- For our mutual benefit, I will pretend to ignore this rudeness.
- I know right! Gotta love the good karma.
- Is that the best you’ve got?
- Coming from you, I’m shocked.
- Are you trying to attract drama?
- You are so good at being bad.
- Yikes, someone is finding it difficult to have a good day.
- You look more likable with your mouth closed.
- That’s not what your boyfriend/mom said last night.
- You know what? I don’t like it when you talk.
- I wish I could say the same for you.
- Could have been worse, I could have been you.
- Not today honey, I am out of ability to put up with such crap today.
- I would have actually believed that if someone else had said that.
- Sweety if you are going to be two-faced, atleast make one of them pretty.
- Can I interest you with something? Peppermint or a toilet cleaner perhaps?Sometimes you make me reconsider my priorities about socialising.
- I am 90% sure that you don’t like me and 100% sure I don’t care.
- I am surprised someone as observant as you hasn’t yet discovered anything significant.
- Since you know it all, you should also know when your opinion doesn’t matter.
- Well I am smart enough to know that I have just been insulted, and sexy enough to not care.
- I am not responsible for whatever you chose to believe about me.
- WOW! That’s too many words for someone with your IQ.
- You should let your mouth rest sometimes, many people will feel better that way.
If you found these witty responses entertaining and smart at the same time, make sure to bookmark them for future use and share them with your snarky friends.